Sunday, June 22, 2014

Rustic family room wall idea

When all of a sudden you get inspired, don't wait! Get up and get movin'! That's what I did last weekend when I was inspired by the Nester's new book, The Nesting Place. I have been living with a blank wall in our family room for 2 years. It was time to do something with it. So, I started shopping the house. Yes, you can do that! You can move furniture and accessories from room to room! I have things stored in totes and I have items in the boys' room that I sorted through and pulled together for this quick wall display. Get your hammer and nails ready and go for it. Don't be scared. 

So, I was going for a cabin in the summer feel. I gathered together old toys and rustic wood frames. I have had that old Oregon Trail map that I found at a yard sale for years and finally pulled a print from a frame and put this in it's place. How easy is that! I also had some old western magazines so I framed one of the covers. I love having a mix of the framed art, canvas art, metal, and mirror all together. Different shapes and textures compliment each other. The bookcases were from different areas in the house and don't match but I think it works with the quirkiness of all the items. I could paint them all to match at some point, but for now I am going with it. 

So, pull up a seat in the rocking chair, watch the kiddos build some forts with the old Lincoln logs and maybe strum a little guitar. Kick back and relax on a rainy day. Take a look:






No comments: